Objective: to gain a deeper understanding of how midwives promote a normal birth in a home birth setting in Norway.
- The midwives had a fundamental belief that childbirth is a normal event that women are able to manage
- The midwife should help the woman to keep faith in her ability to give birth
- The midwives pointed out that woman is a key aspect of promoting a normal birth and a cornerstone in their ideology
- It is important not to subject women in labour to unnecessary interventions
- Being in a safe environment with a familiar midwife provides a good foundation for a normal birth